Tuesday 24 July 2007

Two Wars (and I just sit and watch)

Let there be love but no one listens, no one hears
Let there be peace, but no one cares, no one dares
Let there be war! Suddenly tanks rumble on,
Cluster bombs fall mortal targets hit young and old
And they claim they charge with surgical precision.
The Devil's Pact is broken, the ground trembles
"Shock and awe" the battle cry and why
I shiver with disbelief, brothers against brothers
From the fertile land of Mindanao
to the glowing desert of Baghdad.
Blood spatters, mangled bodies everywhere
Desperate, hallow cries of innocent people
But no one hears them in the wilderness
Their faint voices snuffed by drumfire of the raging war.
I see crimson fireballs as the night falls in Baghdad
I sit and watch until I hear another explosion in Mindanao
I see Mindanao through the night sky over Baghdad
Two wars thousands of miles apart
And I just sit and watch.


24 March 2003
(after watching CNN)

No comments:

Post a Comment